So creepy story time. This is completely true. Happened to me last night.
So a group of friends and I were playing night games last night in lower Ross park. We were playing a game called Rambo. In Rambo, you are issued a glow stick to serve as a knife, and the goal is to be the last man standing by eliminating all the other players. Our group was seven, but three were sitting out this particular round, and so we became four.
I took an early departure into hiding in an attempt to gain an advantage while the others talked. Making my way uphill from our starting point around a large boulder, I stopped beneath a young tree on the edge of a small clearing. Figuring this the perfect spot for an ambush, I waited, crouched.
After only a few minutes, I saw a figure emerge into the clearing on my right. Staying within the shadows of the trees across from me, the figure moved completely silently up the hill. The clothing seemed to match what my friend Madison was wearing, so I assumed it was her. She was being incredibly quiet, a skill she had not shown a knack for earlier in the game. I smiled to myself, knowing that I had the advantage.
Madison slowly and silently made her way to the north end of the clearing. Skirting around the edge would have taken too much time, so I decided to crawl to the very edge of the trees to prepare to dash across the moonlit clearing to find a better position to hunt her from. I watched her as I moved. Laying prone, I began to army crawl into position. I'm not one to brag, but I can be exceptionally quiet when I want. I made no sounds loud enough for my own ears to hear, and yet, as I settled into position to wait for Madison to disappear into the trees, she stopped and turned. She was standing directly in front of me, maybe fifteen yards away, mostly within the shadow of a tree, looking right at me. I froze, but I knew she had seen me. I now had to make a decision. I could jump up and charge her, but I didn't know where the other two players were, and they could have been close enough to make revealing my location a bad idea. I decided to stand and slowly cross the clearing south of Madison and stalk up to where she was standing. As I stood, she faded back into the trees, but I wasn't too concerned. I was confident I would be able to locate and approach her without her knowing exactly where I was.
I creeped across the clearing, keeping an ear open on my left for Madison and on my right for either of the other players. I could hear Madison on my left in the trees. She was making almost no noise, but I could hear her. I reached the trees and stopped to listen. I gave it a few minutes to be sure I had zeroed in on Madison's location, and began to move towards her. I moved using rocks, stepping from one to another to prevent movement noise in the grass. I slowly stalked to within ten feet of where I had heard her last and stopped, crouched on top of a rock. I had the fairly well-lit clearing on my left, but other than the moonlight trickling in through the trees, I was peering into complete darkness. The trees were much thicker in front of me, creating a wall of inky blackness. I stayed here for another few minutes, waiting. I knew I was only a few feet away from her, and if I waited long enough, Madison would make noise and I could pounce.
I was sitting on this rock, scanning the darkness, when I saw her. She was crouched in absolute shadow, no more than ten feet in front of me, staring right at me. We sat, the two of us, waiting for the other to make the first move. She was being completely, deathly still. She never shifted. She never twitched. I could hear no sound coming from her, no breath or pop of joint or even gurgle of guts. I could hear another player moving forty yards behind me, I could hear leaves blowing across the ground some distance away, I could even hear traffic over the hill on what would become Fourth Street, but I didn't hear a sound from her.
A few minutes passed, and the non-players grew impatient. In an effort to shorten the length of time this game was taking, they called out new boundaries from below. My friend Zak, one of the other players, called out his approval from far to my right, and the third player added hers from somewhere below me. I looked at Madison and grinned, knowing we would remain silent and continue our standoff.
Then, things got scary. Madison, from somewhere below me near the non-players, complained about hurting her foot. My blood ran cold as I looked at the figure in front of me. I thought I may have misheard, so I yelled "Where is Madison?"
"She's down here with us."
Ice cold fear gripping me, I bolted out of the trees and down the hill. We didn't see the stranger for the rest of the night, but I couldn't help but glance occasionally into the dark treeline, wondering if the mysterious figure was crouched there, watching me.
The life and times, and meaningless meanderings, of Chad Robert Whitaker.
The Introduction
Hello, and welcome to my Blog!
If you found your way here, you are either my mother, or hopelessly lost. However, have no fear!! I will guide you to where you want to go. First, move the cursor on your screen (using the touchpad at the bottom center of your laptop keyboard, or, if you are visiting from the 90's, using the mouse to the right of the keyboard) to the large white bar at the top of the internet browsing window. Click on this bar to begin inputting information from your keyboard. Type the following: worldsmostboringwebsite, followed by .com. Congratulations, you have successfully navigated to the far-more-interesting-than-this-blog portion of what we call the Internet!
For everyone else (Hi mom!), I hope you enjoy your stay and find many interesting things about the life and times of me, Chad Whitaker.
If you found your way here, you are either my mother, or hopelessly lost. However, have no fear!! I will guide you to where you want to go. First, move the cursor on your screen (using the touchpad at the bottom center of your laptop keyboard, or, if you are visiting from the 90's, using the mouse to the right of the keyboard) to the large white bar at the top of the internet browsing window. Click on this bar to begin inputting information from your keyboard. Type the following: worldsmostboringwebsite, followed by .com. Congratulations, you have successfully navigated to the far-more-interesting-than-this-blog portion of what we call the Internet!
For everyone else (Hi mom!), I hope you enjoy your stay and find many interesting things about the life and times of me, Chad Whitaker.
No comments:
Post a Comment